Lets face it going away on vacation can be extremely challenging when you are trying to follow a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes it can seem impossible to say no to blizzards, poutine, and pizzas when your friends make a pit stop after a 6 hour car ride. I truly believe that following a heathy lifestyle means being realistic. When you go away for a weekend getaway the term “moderation” plays a HUGE role in staying on track! Instead of putting all your energy into making sure you eat perfectly, focus on actually enjoying your time away! If that means indulging in some of the foods you love, then do it and don’t feel guilty about it!
When is comes to travelling smart remember to keep it simple, easy, and delicious.
My top 5 favourite travel snacks:
- Grab & Go Health Bars: I love packing healthy bars for long car trips, airplane rides or beach days when healthy food is less accessible. When shopping for bars it’s important to really pay attention to how much sugar is being added in comparison to protein and fibre. I choose bars that use minimal ingredients and are loaded with quality nutrients. Sometimes it can be counterintuitive to a protein bar that’s loaded with refined sugars and artificial sweeteners when you are trying to stay on track. Some of my favourite go to vegan health bars right now are Genuine Health Fermented Protein Bars (peanut butter flavour is the bomb!), Go Macro Bars (cashew caramel & peanut butter chocolate chip), and Organic Cliff Bars (dark chocolate & sea salt)
- Crunchy Munchy Roasted Chickpeas: Roasted chickpeas are becoming my new favourite go to summer snack. They are such an inexpensive and delicious whole food thats loaded with tones of protein and fibre to keep blood sugar levels balanced, energy soaring, and cravings at bay. I have recently started making my own roasted chickpeas and have been loving experimenting with all the different flavours. Check out my favourite recipe for chickpea inspiration (Minimalist Baker Roasted Cajun Chickpeas). If making your own chickpeas isn’t realistic when scrambling to get your whole family packed for your trip, then I encourage you to grab a bag when you do your next shop. I love “Go Bean” Roasted Chickpeas from Costco because they come in so many delicious flavours and they are super crunchy!
- Protein Powder Packets: I love bringing little protein powder packets when I go away because they are a delicious and easy way to make sure I get adequate protein into my day. Its super quick to make a veggie & fruit smoothies in the morning, or if you don’t have access to a blender bring a shaker cup and mix the packets with your favourite nut milk or filtered water for long car rides. Protein helps to promote satiety and ultimately reduce cravings which is exactly what is needed during long travel days! My favourite vegan protein brands right now are Genuine Health Fermented Vanilla Protein Powder because it helps to feed the good bacteria in your gut and promote healthy digestion. I also love Garden of Life Raw Cacao Protein Powder.
- Snacktastic Seaweed: The saying “betcha can’t eat just one” is literally true when it comes to chips. Mindless boredom eating can be a huge struggle when travelling. My favourite chip alternative right now is Kirkland’s Roasted Seaweed (GMO Free & organic options available). It instantly curbs salt cravings and nourishes your body with loads iodine instead of refined carbohydrates and trans fats. They come in pre packaged servings that are excellent for travelling with kids.
- Berry Blast: There’s nothing more satisfying then fresh fruit on a hot summers day loaded with immune boosting antioxidants. My favourites are blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries… typically the whole “berry” family is in my good books. I always buy organic berries due to their high pesticide exposure. According to the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen, strawberry’s are the number one fruit or vegetable being sprayed this year! Support local farmers and source fruits available close to your home. I like to pre wash all my fruits and pack them into glass tupperware for easy snacking when on the go.
- Kool Kombucha: What could be more refreshing then a cold ginger kombucha after a long day at the lake? I am obsessed! Not only is kombucha extremely low in sugar compared to pop and juice, its rich in probiotics which naturally works to repopulate the good bacteria in the gut! My all time favourite brand is Organic Raw Kombucha because they don’t use added sugar to sweeten. Its important to check labels when kombucha shopping because so many company’s load their drinks with sweeteners that I deem unnecessary especially if this is something enjoying regularly. That being said, on occasion I really enjoy Rise Kombucha especially when I’m mixing up holistic cocktails for me and my friends.
- Coconut Water – “Nature’s hangover cure”: I never go on vacation without this hydrating beverage on hand. Not only is it essential for those spending extra time in the sun, it all helps to balance electrolytes after a long night on drinking Kombucha Cocktails 😉 Make sure to check labels to avoid added sugar. One of my go to brands is Coco Libre – 100% organic or Zico Natural (another great Costco purchase).
Veggie Mega Burgers: I typically like to make everything homemade, however, when I’m away that isn’t always realistic. I like to have quick and easy options available in case I need something in a pinch. In the summer my favourite thing to do when away is turn on the BBQ, turn up the tunes, and lounge in the sun. Something I have found particularly challenging is finding a veggie burger brand that doesn’t taste like cardboard but also has quality ingredients. My new favourite vegetarian company that I’ve been really loving is Big Mountain Foods. I particularly love their veggie patties that are soy free, GMO free, gluten free!
HAPPY SUMMER TRAVELS
Love Sarah xx